Re: GUI no longer building by default

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: GUI no longer building by default
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 15:17:18 -0500

On 03/16/2013 12:54 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
That's fine with me, but it seems to be a whole suite of tools with the -qt5
and -qt4 qualifiers.  It could be there is something significantly different
between qt4 and qt5, but typically systems (ultimately the utility
programmers, i.e., authors of Qt) don't make a version number as part of
executable files.

I'd normally be in favor of dropping the suffix too, but IIRC one of
the reasons this was added is because certain systems have Qt 3
installed as "moc" and "uic" while Qt 4 is only installed as "moc-qt4"
and "uic-qt4".

OK.

Right now the configure script checks utilities individual, which allows a sort of mix and match scenario. It might be better to have a sort of double loop which first checks for all required utilities with the "qt5" suffix, then all utilities with the "qt4" extension, then no extension. But...

On my version of Fedora is a package called "Development files for the Qt toolkit" having several utilities with no suffix, and then these with suffix:

/usr/bin/designer-qt4
/usr/bin/linguist-qt4
/usr/bin/lrelease-qt4
/usr/bin/lupdate-qt4
/usr/bin/moc-qt4
/usr/bin/qmake-qt4
/usr/bin/uic-qt4

All required utilities are bundled in that one package. So it seems that unless one is building from scratch, there is low probability of mixing and matching. I think the current setup is fine, at least for the moment.

Dan