Re: What to do with builtin functions not in libinterp subdirectory

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: What to do with builtin functions not in libinterp subdirectory
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:03:03 -0400

On 03/18/2013 12:50 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

You are thinking then that the DEFUN family can remain in the code? Or
eventually change that over? I suppose it really isn't the use of the
DEFUN that creates a challenge; it's the macro pre-processing.

Is it a problem if there is a macro that generates the class? It's a lot less typing and would keep the class definitions consistent. But I'm not sure I see the point of making this change. Using a class just trades a lot of mangled function names for a lot of classes in the global namespace.

Is the only real advantage that there is some automatic way of inserting the function pointers in the global table table of built-in functions without having to generate something like builtins.cc? I think you will need some kind of singleton object to achieve that without having some order of initialization problems.