Re: The octave-unstable PPA

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: The octave-unstable PPA
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 18:27:53 +0100

On 14 May 2013 17:59, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 05/14/2013 12:38 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
>> What about having Octave print a big startup message, like it already
>> does, saying exactly that? It would remind users of what they are
>> using every single time they start Octave.
>
> When did people start reading the startup message?

Well, there's not more we can do other than writing somewhere what it
is that the they are about to use. The startup message would remind
them every time Octave starts. Calling the repository unstable, and
actually making them type unstable when adding it to their system is
what's currently being done. It is also possible to have a description
text which will appear at the top of this page
https://launchpad.net/~octave/+archive/unstable

If anyone wants to write such text, I'll gladly put it up.

>>> Is it possible to make this PPA private or less prominent?
>>
>> No.
>
> Well, you could stop distributing it.  But I guess then someone else would
> do it if you didn't.

Exactly. These were actually previously distributed on a personal
users PPAs. But I think it's best to have it under our own control.

There's enough manuals of old Octave versions around, and out-of-date
lists of missing functions. Just yesterday there was someone on
Google+ posting about Octave's emac mode for Octave manual version 2.
something. The very own launchpad Octave group was inactive for almost
3 years until I claimed ownership. By having this under own control,
we can at least remove things if no longer up to date. But not
distributing it only means someone else will pick it up.

Carnë