Re: GSOC 2013 - FEM LIBRARY

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GSOC 2013 - FEM LIBRARY
Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:18:34 -0400

On 05/31/2013 01:43 PM, Júlio Hoffimann wrote:

oct::array<T>
oct::operators::add<T,U> (read altogether as "octoperators", cool huh?!)

I'm not a big fan of these extra namespace layers. It seems like needless complication. Maybe it wouldn't make things harder for us when writing Octave code as inside the Octave sources we will probably just have using declarations for all our own namespaces. But for people who don't care about Octave internals and who are also just using a few functions from Octave and don't want to insert using declarations for the Octave namespaces, it will probably become tedious to try to remember which functions are in which of the nested namespaces. And, even if it is not harder for us to write code for Octave, it will be harder for us to move a function from one nested namespace to another (even MORE backward compatibility worries).

This reminds me of how we caved in to the pressure from some novice Octave developers and rearranged the Octave source tree last year. The novices thought the number of files in the liboctave and src directories was intimidating. And they assumed that it would be easier to see the structure of the sources if they were split up into more logical groups of functions. Since then, I've had nothing but trouble finding files. I don't think the extra directory levels in liboctave and libinterp really helped me at all, and they probably just make it more confusing for people -- WTF is the difference between libinterp/corefcn and libinterp/interp-core?