Re: Workspace dialog on MacOS X

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Workspace dialog on MacOS X
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 21:53:41 -0500

On 06/09/2013 07:42 PM, Abbott, Ben wrote:

On Jun 10, 2013, at 7:45 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

On 06/09/2013 05:59 PM, Ben Abbott wrote:
On Jun 9, 2013, at 10:43 PM, Torsten wrote:

On 09.06.2013 14:56, Ben Abbott wrote:

Torsten,

I have no idea why the workspace colors is squished on MacOS X. Do they
render correctly on Ubuntu? Any idea how to fix this? My only guess is
that the spacing of the contents of the widget aren't inheriting the
settings of their parent (the parent appears to have its layout spacing
set to -1, so I'd expect a reasonable result) , but as I'm barely
literate in c++, I'm unable to confirm.

Could you please try the attached patch?

Torsten

No change for me. In case it may provide a hint, the "Editor Styles"
tab looks great on MacOS X.

The "Editor Styles" might be something done by QScintilla code. BTW,
is what you are seeing in Editor Styles a big font? Or is it small
like the "Storage Class Colors" in your sample image?

No, the font size is correct (another reason why I suspected an
inheritance problem ... but still just a guess).

Yes, that looks pretty good. Again, I think it is QScintilla controlling that, not Octave settings. Hmm, but certainly the "Storage Class Colors" is turning out kind of small. I looked at the Qt documentation and I see that QWidgets inherit from parent (in this case the settings-dialog object) unless overridden. If there are no font changes, then QApplication default is used.

However, I've looked in the dialog-settings.ui file and I don't see where there is anything overriding the default font with that 10 to 12 point font I'm seeing for "Storage Class Colors" in your posted image. The font control for Qt Designer is kind of tough to figure out. Although it looks like a particular font is set (there is no "Default" option), it isn't until specifically selected. Then if one goes under the "font" sub-arrow the Family and PointSize can be reverted using the little arrow button. That then removes the font setting. Nonetheless, there is no change of font here.

should be something higher than 12 points. Please try changing that to
a vertical spacing to 24, just to give some indication that the change
is on the right track.

I changed the veritcal spacing to 24, but it now looks worse.

QGridLayout *style_grid = new QGridLayout ();
+ style_grid->setVerticalSpacing (24);
QVector<QLabel*> description (nr_of_classes);

Ewe!

void setPixelSize ( int pixelSize )
void setPointSize ( int pointSize )
void setPointSizeF ( qreal pointSize )

I happy to try our a fix if you can tell where where these declarations
belong.

Well, the best is to not have any of that for the moment and just use the QApplication default.

Dan