Re: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-install

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Building on MinGW using MXE-built dependencies [WAS: Re: mxe-installer try 2]
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:40:05 -0400

On 06/12/2013 03:20 AM, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

...and that MinGW build (on WinXP 32b) ended in building postgres
complaining about cpio, just like John D reported earlier. So that looks
to be a consistent result. (BTW I changed the postgres configure option
in postgres.mk into "--without-zlib" to get past the zlib error that
J.D. reported as well)

Just out of curiosity: why are postgres and libodbc required anyway?

I don't know that they are really needed. Are they? They were listed as dependencies of qt when I created my fork of MXE. If they are not needed, then we should drop the dependencies and stop trying to build them.

Same for llvm, if it isn't going to be used for the next stable release
(as you suggested)? - llvm isn't called in octave.mk (no --enable-jit
configure option.) Together these builds make up for around 15 % of
total build time, so it should help speeding up this first stage of
getting the native MinGW to succeed if we could (temporarily) avoid
building them. Especially as multi-core builds don't work on native MinGW.

I fixed this. MXE-Octave now has a simple configure script that accepts arguments like --enable-jit --with-system-gcc, --enable-64, and some others (use configure --help or look at the configure.ac file to see what's available). This configure script is not meant to check for a lot of things. It's just that I was getting tired of editing the Makefile by hand.

When you check out mxe-octave from hg now, you'll need to run

  autoconf
  ./configure ...  ## out of tree builds are not supported yet
  make JOBS=N

Using configure without any arguments sets up the default build as before, cross compiling for mingw.

I also added a dist target to the Makefile, so we can create and distribute mxe-octave-VERSION.tar.gz files instead of requiring mercurial to check out the sources. To keep the dist target working properly, you have to edit dist-files.mk if you add or remove files from MXE-Octave.