Re: Moving to Octave Forge to mercurial

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Moving to Octave Forge to mercurial
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:59:47 -0400

On 13 June 2013 16:19, Pascal Dupuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> If you are going to switch to Mercurial:
> - will the revision history be kept ?

Yes.

> - can I maintain a link inside a svn repo to an Mercurial repo ?

Yes, but svn externals are kind of a bad idea. The approximate
corresponding thing in hg is subrepos, which are also kind of a bad
idea and should be avoided whenever possible.

> - If the answer is no, do Mercurial have this mechanism of external repo
> inside some main repo ?

Yes, subrepo, which can be an svn or hg subrepo, but consider
carefully if that's what we really want.

> - if yes, how to switch my own files from svn to Mercurial and keep the
> history ?

We'll do it for you, but if you're curious about the mechanism, it's
done by using hg's convert extension.

> Will dropbox and Mercurial work together ?

Think of Mercurial something like dropbox but not tied to a central
authority, and highly optimised for text files such as source code.
Dropbox can be seen as sort of a primitive distributed version
control. Mercurial has almost the same amount of client software
available as dropbox. And unlike dropbox, it's free. :-)

- Jordi G. H.