Re: clean up commit messages?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: clean up commit messages?
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 10:54:21 -0400

On 5 August 2013 03:04, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2013, at 17:08, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Just force a push and make sure your bookmark is on the new branch.
>> I'll strip the bad branch later. And Carlo, just make sure you pull
>> the new branch.
>
> With the intent of looking at Kai's code
> and cleaning it up till it is ready to be
> merged to the main repo, I pulled from Kai's
> repository to my local clone.
>
> I am a bit confused now because the graph
> of my local mercurial clone looks like this:
>
> http://mox.polimi.it/~carlo/octave_repo_graph.html

Okay, so the issue is that all of the merge commits are on a different
order on your repo than on his, so it makes the graph look more messy
because all of the merge parents are way back in history. You can
still see his changes, and you can just ignore the merge commits
because they make the DAG look messy. A good way to look only at his
own changes is

    hg log --patch --verbose --no-merges --user k.ohlhus
    hg log -pvMu k.ohlhus  ## abbreviated

Kai has also been working on rebasing his own repo just to remove the
merge commits. He hasn't pushed this yet.

I have stripped his pre-rebased branch from his public repo. If you
want to wait for him to rebase, strip now too:

    hg strip 4b92af851dd1

> I am very hesitant to work on this very messy repo now,

It's not that bad. It's just that the merges make the DAG look messy
when pulled in a different order. We don't have to throw out all the
history of his work.

- Jordi G. H.