Re: missing icons

From: Patrick Noffke
Subject: Re: missing icons
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 12:25:04 -0500

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Patrick Noffke <address@hidden> wrote:

On my system (Fedora 16 and KDE), gconftool-2 returns false, but the icons still show up.  If I edit the system settings (Settings -> System Setting -> Application Appearance -> Style -> Fine Tuning, there is a check box "Show icons in menus."  When I turn that off, a KDE app (kdiff3) does not have icons in the menus, but this does not seem to affect Octave (I just rebuilt and installed today, from Friday's clone).  Any ideas why that might be?

First, if you're using KDE, there's a high chance the style you're using is unaffacted by gconf settings. Second, I noticed the same behavior as you: changing KDE settings have no effect, which can be expected (these are KDE settings, not Qt settings).

Others at the link below seem to observe that gconftool-2 did affect Qt-only applications.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=940213)

I can't seem to get my build to not show icons in the menus.  I added test code in octave-gui.cc to print and change the style (using QObject::objectName and qDebug to print the name, and QStyleFactory::create and QApplication::setStyle to set the style).  By default, I'm using the oxygen style.  When I set it to GTK+, gconftool-2 still does not seem to affect whether or not menu icons show up.

Qt has a GTK style widget set, and in the Qt 5 source code, the file qtbase/src/widgets/styles/qgtkstyle_p.cpp parses the gtkrc file (though it only looks for buttons_have_icons -- I don't see any mention of menus_have_icons).  But gconftool-2 does not seem to affect this style (both buttons and menus always have icons).

Patrick