RE: MXE-Octave & release candidates

From: John D
Subject: RE: MXE-Octave & release candidates
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 14:05:39 -0500

From: Philip Nienhuis [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2013 2:00 PM
To: John Donoghue
Cc: address@hidden; Rik

>> Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 13:19:44 -0800 (PST)
>> From: PhilipNienhuis<address@hidden>
>> To:address@hidden
>> Subject: Re: MXE-Octave & release candidates

>>> involves
>> I'm not sure I can follow here.
>>
>> The MXE-octave build does work, although (Windows) not natively (that
>> is, not completely) and the cross-version has issues with llvm (and
>> possibly OpenBlas on my box). I can't vouch for Mac OSX builds from
>> mxe-octave but from what I've read it needs attention too.
>>
>> The Windows installer's only purpose is to package a compiled Octave
>> and all built dependencies (runtime libs) + some support SW (awk,
>> makeinfo, sed, gcc, etc), in order to be able to install & run Octave
>> on Windows. No more no less.
>>
>> Given the fact that Windows offers a fairly homogeneous runtime
>> environment to SW (with some exceptions as regards Win 8), much
>> unlike the more fragmented Linux and *nix world where every distro
>> has its unique combo of SW and SW versions, I think there's no need
>> for rigorous testing at the make distcheck level for Windows builds.
>> Rigorous testing of the binary's correctness and performance should
>> do.
>> On Windows Octave runs fairly self-contained and somewhat isolated
>> from the rest of the system, MinGW versions probably more than MSVC
>> versions. From what I've seen at work I think user priviliges (or
>> rather lack thereof) could pose more of a problem at execution time
>> given the large number of individual small .exe files in /bin.

>>> to at
>> On yesterday's MXE build (with latest updates for mxe-octave & Octave):

>> gnuplot 4.6 patchlevel 1
>> ans = 0
>>
>> so that needs updating;

>> gcc (GCC) 4.8.1
>>
>> ==> at least you don't need to worry about gcc:-)
>>
>> Philip
> I've updated llvm to 3.3 and got it working again in cross compile and
> updated gnuplot to 4.6.4.
>
> Both appear to work on my native Win7 and Fedora 16 mingw cross build.

Did you push the changes?

If so I'll pull and give it a try tonight.

Usually with updates of dependencies I have to carefully clean up the
MXE-tree - starting over from scratch is a very time-consuming affair.
Especially for small packages this gets out of balance - like 4 hrs building
of a complete mxe-octave where the updated package in question builds within
a minute.
Luckily llvm didn't get compiled at all here yet, so that will be no
problem. With gnuplot it may be different.

Philip
---

I pushed yesterday.

Gnuplot is a standalone application so should be quick to build it.