Re: bug #40256

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: bug #40256
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 21:45:13 +0100

Rik wrote:
On 11/08/2013 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Is #40256 (datetick doesn't remove previous X-grid&  ticks) still in the
list? (it is a regression and actually a nasty one for me)
11/7/13

Philip,

The bug is listed on the 3.8 Bug Fix list
(http://wiki.octave.org/3.8_Bug_Fix_List), however it's not listed as an
official gating item for the release.  I took a quick look at it, but I
don't spend much time with gnuplot so I don't have a good answer.  The
problem is not with datetick, but rather with how the command "set (gca,
'xticklabel', ...)" works.  Instead of just overwriting the existing
labels, this is apparently invoking the auto-axis labeling routine.
Simple
code to reproduce:

plot (1:4)
## At this point labels are 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4
set (gca, 'xtick', 1:4)
## At this point labels are 1, 2, 3, 4
set (gca, 'xticklabel', {'A', 'B', 'C', 'D'})
## Now labels are 'A', 1.5, 'B', 2.5, 'C', 3.5, 'D'
The underlying issue is that because of bug #33748 and bug #40246 I need to
revert to gnuplot. Now gnuplot also bugs out on me.
Rescaling before handing off to fltk/OpenGL is quite cumbersome as we'd need
to patch all code (many of which is Matlab code still used in Matlab)
invoking plotting. That's hundreds of functions to process....

Philip
11/8/13

Philip,

I hear you.  The use of floats, rather than doubles, by OpenGL is quite a
problem.  The workaround should be in the graphics engine so that only one
fix needs to be made and everyone else, the hundreds of m-files in your
case, benefits.  But, that isn't going to occur for the 3.8.0 release.  I'm
trying an hg bisect to see if I can find where the xticklabel problem got
introduced to Octave.  Already I know it was before Jan. 1, 2013.  But this
isn't my area of the code base so I'm mostly hoping I can identify the
problem area for someone else to fix.

Thank you. I know you were listening :-)
And I also know there are more urgent things to fix.

Let me repeat you: Hopefully the fix for this makes into 3.8.1.

BTW thanks for pushing patch #8222 (translators to contributors.in)

Philip