Re: building docs

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: building docs
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 00:19:23 -0600

On 12/02/2013 08:56 AM, Rik wrote:
On 12/01/2013 08:59 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 12/01/2013 11:56 AM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

The option --no-gui-libs is also needed along with --no-gui.

If you use --no-gui-libs, then you don't need --no-gui.

jwe

Back to the original question, is there really a problem building docs on
Linux with the current default branch?

I say "yes", unless something has changed in the last couple days since I tried a fresh build. The issue is that to generate the EPS files requires executing ./run-octave. Currently it appears that running octave attempts to start the GUI even if in batch mode.

This works fine if the system is able to run the GUI, but if the system is unable to start Qt the attempts to generate the EPS figures fail. The scenario I'm thinking of is if someone logs onto a machine remotely and runs the build process.

In some sense I've no qualms with ./run-octave attempting to load the GUI libraries. The issue is that the build process requires actively functioning Qt to complete. If those commands generating EPS files using gnuplot graphics engine just used "--no-gui-libs", that wouldn't be the case.

This wasn't an issue a few months back. This weekend I'll search for the changeset where this might have changed.

Dan