Re: GraphicsMagick linkage error on Mac OS X 10.9

From: Pantxo Diribarne
Subject: Re: GraphicsMagick linkage error on Mac OS X 10.9
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 23:32:04 +0100

Le lun. 13 janv. 2014 23:06:28 CET, Ben Abbott a écrit :

On Jan 13, 2014, at 5:04 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2014, at 7:30 PM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2014, at 5:52 PM, Daryl Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

On Jan 12, 2014, at 3:44 AM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:

On 12 Jan 2014, at 00:07, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

sudo port install octave @3.6.4 +atlas+docs+fltk+gcc48+x11
sudo port deactivate octave
sudo port install GraphicsMagick +q32

You can use the "octave-next" package which is in the development branch of
MacPorts
or its preview version posted here [1] to get a more complete and up-to-date
set of
depenedencies installed.

I had no luck with octave-next:
$ sudo port -v build octave-next +atlas+gcc48+metis+doc
configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.8
Error: Port octave-next not found

You need to setup a local repository ...

        http://guide.macports.org/chunked/development.local-repositories.html

And then include the local portfile for octave-next.  The diff between the
released portfiile for Octave and octave-next is at the link below.

        https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41155#comment:23

My intent in going through all this is to eventually actually be able to make a
contribution; but this may be the hardest "hello, world" experience I've ever
had!

As for GraphicsMagick in particular, note the suggestion in this comment [2]
about
needing to compile it with gcc and not clang.

HTH,
c.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41155
[2] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41155#comment:3

I understand that I need to compile GraphicsMagick under gcc instead of clang;
I'm only confused as to how to actually do that.  Following Ben's advice, I did:

sudo port install octave @3.6.4 +atlas+docs+fltk+gcc48+x11
sudo port deactivate octave
sudo port install GraphicsMagick +q32

That doesn't change the compiler. You'll need to follow the hints that are part
of comment#3

        https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41155#comment:3

Ben

I just updated my ports tree and am seeing the same error.  My GraphicsMagick
has just upgraded to 1.3.19 (from 1.3.18).

        $ port installed GraphicsMagick
          GraphicsMagick @1.3.18_0+q32
          GraphicsMagick @1.3.19_0+q32 (active)

When I activate the version 1.3.18 ...

        sudo port activate GraphicsMagick @1.3.18_0+q32

Then I'm able to complete the build.  If you don't have the build for version
1.3.18 on your Mac, you can get the port file at the link below.

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/graphics/GraphicsMagick/Portfile?rev=115019

Ben

Sorry, I forgot to include a link for instructions on how to build and install
an old port.

        https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/InstallingOlderPort

Ben

I see the same error using fink which is at GraphicsMagick 1.3.18-2.

Do compiling instructions in the portfiles for 3.18 and 3.19 differ ?

Pantxo