GSoC 2014 | CUDA

From: Faiz I. Kothari
Subject: GSoC 2014 | CUDA
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 07:29:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

My name is Faiz I. Kothari and I am a 3rd year Undergrad from Birla
Institution of Technology and Science Pilani, K K Birla Goa Campus, India.
I have been working with CUDA and Parallelism for the past few months and
have implemented some filters for image processing using the CUDA framework.
I have used Matlab and Octave for implementation of machine learning
algorithms.

I am comfortable in writing code in C/C++ and occasional scripting in python
and bash.
I am also comfortable with systems programming in Linux. I also teach
"Advance C Programming" under a student initiative: Center For Technical
Education at BITS Pilani Goa Campus.

I know the licensing issues caused by using CUDA, but Nvidia supports OpenCL
too, so there shouldn't be any licensing problems. Since GPGPU is a very
emerging field and simulations are very compute intensive tasks, I would
like to contribute by implementing a subset of octave tools using the
compute capabilities of the GPU as part of GSoC 2014. I would like to know
about the utilities that are yet to be ported to GPU and I am really
interested in contributing to octave by porting them to GPU.

It will be really helpful if someone can guide me on these lines and the
licensing issues involved. I have setup the development environment and
going through the code base for places where parallelism can be employed. It
will be really nice if someone can guide me and point me to code base that
requires to be ported to GPU.
I am active on IRC #octave under the nick: faizoff and on the mailing list.

Thank you for reading through. Looking forward to contribute to the
organization.

Faiz I. Kothari
3rd Year Undergrad
BITS Pilani K K Birla Goa Campus