RE: mxe-octave cross-build errors when building native-gcc

From: John D
Subject: RE: mxe-octave cross-build errors when building native-gcc
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 11:24:50 -0500

From: Philip Nienhuis [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2014 11:03 AM
To: John D; address@hidden
Cc: 'John W. Eaton'

<snip>

> ---
>
> Looks like the same issue - Probably binary dist rules.mk or
> native-gcc.mk need to have the copy of the .a file added.
> Were you able to build native-gcc as is from mxe-octave? It wont build
> for me on Fedora20 without the patch I sent out at the beginning of
> the week. I am assuming everyone else isn't having that native-gcc  issue?

With your patch, native-gcc was built as-is. To be precise:
A "fresh" mxe-octave clone, that was in the state I left it last weekend (=
aborted native-gcc build stage), after updating and patching native-gcc.mk,
downloaded a few packages (netcdf, hdf5, etc), built them, built Octave and
then managed to build native-gcc + the installer.

I haven't seen native-gcc issue reports from other people building w
mxe-octave. According to the README on http://mxeoctave.osuv.de, Markus
seems to plan another one soon, maybe he'll hit it too.
Am I right that this native-gcc issue started after upgrading to
gcc-4.8.2 / mingw64?

My build system is Mageia-2 32 bit. One of these days I'll upgrade it to
Mageia-3 or 4 -64 bit (M-3 is fairly complete, but 4 still lacks many
required packages.)

Philip

---
I believe it was at that time - but is because the native gcc was changed
from building with gmp etc copied to the sources to building prior, rather
than the fact that it was a different version of gcc/mingw.