Re: Octave-Forge website / docs.html

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge website / docs.html
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:32:49 +0200

Den 13-08-2014 kl. 13:23 skrev Julien Bect:
Le 13/08/2014 12:46, c. a écrit :
the list used internally by pkg.m is here:

http://octave.sourceforge.net/list_packages.php

be aware that this is not a static text file it is generated
by a server-side script by iterating over all directories containing
html docs.

It seems a little unnatural to me to require that the whole OF website
has been built to be able to get something as "primitive" as the list of
all Octave packages...

The motivation for it this way was to minimise the burden of the OF administrators. Back when I was actively involved, running OF took quite a bit of time, so the more files that needed to be edited the more time-consuming release-related tasks became.

I'm not arguing against a static list of packages, but I urge you to pick a system which requires the smallest amount of work to maintain -- maintaining the web site is the task which is the least fun to most people in this community, so if it becomes a hurdle nobody will do it.

Several people (myself included) basically burned out because of annoying web-maintenance responsibilities. So, please don't design a system which require a small amount of work to maintain -- design a system which require the *smallest possible* amount of work to maintain.

Cheers
Søren