Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:15:08 -0500

On Wed, 2014-11-26 at 11:01 -0800, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> Any chance of getting some history of what has been tried and the
> results?

Endless frustration installing Octave from homebrew and macports.
Conflicting versions from past attempts, unfamiliarity with the CLI,
bizarre segfaults and uncaught C++ exceptions at runtime. Octave on
Mac OS X is a horrible mess.

I really don't think homebrew and macports are a good distribution
mechanism at all for anyone but the most devoted and technically
capable people. I don't even qualify myself because I'm not that
devoted to Mac OS X.

> I see the "Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>",
> would this be a good list for me to follow Mac OS X issues?

Sure. If you want to solve this problem for Octave, although I suppose
if your solution generalises to all of macports, that would be very
nice too.

The solution that has worked reasonably well for Windows was to
cross-compile from GNU/Linux. It's worked so well that several people
have independently been able to reproduce Windows binaries for Octave.

It would be nice if it were possible to cross-compile into Mac OS X,
but that's probably hopeless, so whatever solution you have for
macports would be interesting.

- Jordi G. H.