Re: Conflicting start-up options: --eval and script.m

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Conflicting start-up options: --eval and script.m
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 10:51:47 -0800

On 01/04/2015 01:49 AM, Andreas Weber wrote:
> Am 04.01.2015 um 04:11 schrieb Rik:
>
>> ... I attempted to make the two options mutually
>> exclusive, but there are issues with Makefiles and the building of the
>> documentation.  Now, we could make the documentation build single-threaded
>> (make -j1) and then the mutual exclusivity could be re-instated.
> The .NOTPARALLEL directive would indeed avoid the isatty problem in our
> build system but not beeing able to use octave with a detached stdin (as
> it happens in make -j4)[1] would be IMHO a big drawback for the user.
>
> I regularly use Octave in Makefiles where it processes dozens of
> different logfiles and many of the targets could be run parallel so I
> typically use "make -j8" on my Phenom X6.
>
> Can't we just document the modified behaviour without making them mutual
> exclusivity.

I did consider it too much of a burden which is why I took out the mutual
exclusivity for input redirection and either --eval or a script file.  I
think it would be rather difficult and potentially OS-dependent to figure
out whether we are really connected to a pipe or input redirection, or
whether there is something else going on such as make shutting down the
stdin for all but one of its jobs.  If you want to try to tackle the
problem it's fine, but I think there are more interesting bug reports with
greater importance.

--Rik