Re: GSoC, anyone?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: GSoC, anyone?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2015 22:16:28 +0000

On 8 January 2015 at 21:58, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
> Should we try to do GSoC again this year? I'm not so sure if we should
> or not. Our results have been mixed in past years, with very low
> success rate. Our students have passed their evaluations, but almost
> none of them have stayed after GSoC nor have we merged in a lot of
> useful GSoC code. Either we're doing something very wrong that we need
> to fix before we try again, or GSoC is not for us.
>
> Thoughts?

I think yes.  Maybe the problem is that the students we got were working on
things that none of us was also doing.  They were things we would like to
have in Octave but not enough to go and do it (otherwise, we would have done
themselves).  I will propose that we only accept projects and mentors that
are working on the same project at the same time.  What this means that push
of a student would be pulled, reviewed, and pushed by the mentor right away
since it would be mixed with the mentor work.  I realize this will limit our
available projects a lot but should fix the problem of ending with students
doing stuff that is never integrated in Octave.

I'd be willing to mentor a student for selected features in the image
package and core.

Carnë