Re: imshow problem under OS X

From: Marius Schamschula
Subject: Re: imshow problem under OS X
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 06:03:06 -0500

Pantxo,

On Mar 9, 2015, at 2:40 AM, Pantxo <address@hidden> wrote:

Marius Schamschula-5 wrote
Ben,

On Mar 8, 2015, at 7:13 PM, Ben Abbott &lt;

bpabbott@

&gt; wrote:

On Mar 8, 2015, at 19:51, Marius Schamschula &lt;

lists@

&gt; wrote:

Hi all,

I was just testing my latest build of tip (i.e. 4.0.0-rc1+ as of
yesterday). I tried loading a gif image using imread, no problem here,
except that GraphicsMagick is compiled with a quantum depth of 8 bits
under MacPorts. I had build a local copy GraphicsMagick using gcc 4.9 to
build 4.0.0-rc1, as the clang based build fails, using the same default
strings as the MacPorts build.

The problem came when I tried to display the image, i.e.

imshow(I)

The gui immediately crashed. So I thought I should try the same
procedure using the 3.8.2 gui build using MacPorts: same result. I then
went into the 3.8.2 cli and found the following:

octave:22> imshow(I)

multiplot> et termoption dashed
          ^
          line 0: invalid command

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula

Marius,

If you can provide the options you used to configure, I can try on
Yosemite and report back.

Ben

My current build uses:

./configure \
CC=/opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.9 \
CFLAGS="-pipe -O2 -m64 -g -arch x86_64" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/octave/lib -L/opt/local/lib" \
CXX=/opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.9 \
CXXFLAGS="-pipe -O2 -m64 -arch x86_64" \
CPPFLAGS="-D_THREAD_SAFE -I/usr/local/octave/include -I/opt/local/include"
\
FC="/opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.9" \
F77="/opt/local/bin/gfortran-mp-4.9" \
FFLAGS="-pipe -O2 -m64 -arch x86_64" \
CARBON_LIBS="-Wl,-framework -Wl,Carbon" \
LIBS="-Wl,-framework -Wl,Carbon" \
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/octave/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH \
--disable-bounds-check \
--disable-jit \
--with-magick=GraphicsMagick \
--with-lapack="-llapack -latlas -lgfortran" \
--with-blas="-lcblas -lf77blas -latlas -lgfortran" \
--prefix=/usr/local/octave/4.0.0-rc1 \
--with-arpack \
--disable-java \
--enable-docs \
--enable-gui \
--with-opengl \
--without-OSMesa \
--with-framework-carbon \
--without-x \
--enable-link-all-dependencies \
--with-arpack-includedir=/opt/local/include \
--with-arpack-libdir=/opt/local/lib

but as I noted, I get the same error using the current MacPorts package
(3.8.2). GraphicsMagick is under /usr/local/octave to keep it out of the
way of MacPorts.

Marius
--
Marius Schamschula

Marius,

The imshow function doesn't make use of GraphicsMagick. It's just a
convenience function that creates an image object and plots it with image
specific axes configuration. Under Carlo's 3.8.2 binary the message you see
is due to gnuplot because OpenGL toolkits were voluntarily disabled as they
are known to crash Octave when the GUI is enabled on Mac.
Are you able to do any kind of plotting or does "plot (1:10)" also crash
Octave?

Pantxo

The GraphicsMagick issue is separate from the imshow issue: I get a warning regardless of if GraphicsMagick is built with a depth of 8 or 16 bits.

As to your question:

1) I don’t have Carlo’s binary, but rather I am using the MacPorts build
octave @3.8.2_7+atlas+gcc49+glgui+gui+qtgui
and
octave 4.0.0-rc1 built using gcc 4.9 on top of MacPorts dependencies.

2) Yes I also get a crash when running plot(1:10):
octave:24> plot(1:10)
octave:25>
gnuplot> nset obj 1;
         ^