Re: Interested in TISEAN package for GSoC

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: Interested in TISEAN package for GSoC
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 11:46:39 +0100

On 1 April 2015 at 16:48, Juan Pablo Carbajal <address@hidden> wrote:
> [...]
>
> As I mentioned before, there are many functions in the package that
> should be deprecated and use Octave's own implementation instead. For
> example random numbers with gausssian distributions. Do not use
> Tisean's, those are bad and we already have randn and mvrand
> (hopefully using the mersenne twister).

I would disagree with this.  If the aim of the TISEAN package is to
provide an Octave interface to TISEAN, then I would expect that calling
those functions would only call the TISEAN functions.  If you start
changing parts because your own implementation of bits of it are faster,
or worse, more numerical correct, then you will fail at the main objective.
You will be providing an interface to a new thing, a bastardized version
of TISEAN.  Whether it's better or not, it's not really for us to judge.

One should expect that the tisean package for Octave would inherit all
the bugs from TISEAN.  If you want to change things, this should be done
upstream, i.e., patches to TISEAN.

Carnë