Re: A question for package maintainers still using TexInfo < 5

From: Julien Bect
Subject: Re: A question for package maintainers still using TexInfo < 5
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 23:17:30 +0200

Le 23/04/2015 15:22, Olaf Till a écrit :
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 07:22:56AM -0400, Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 2:33 AM, Julien Bect <address@hidden
wrote:
Hello all,

There is an ongoing discussion on this bug report:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?44899 which is related to the
generate_html package.

The point is: there is a hack in several functions of the package
(html_help_tex, texi2html) which is supposed to deal with a bug in
makeinfo. The bug is longer present in recent TexInfo releases, and the
hack has some unpleasant side effects.
Hello Michael,

I'm no HTML expert, but wasn't the chief purpose of the hack to
introduce '<p class="functionfile">' ? Does texinfo 5... do this
without the hack (I haven't installed this version)? As I understand
it, with that <p ...> tack one should be able to change the
indentation specifically of the function definitions with CSS. The
'&mdash' seems to have been rather removed 'by the way' by the hack
and was used to find the location to insert the <p ...> tack.

But if texinfo 5... does not introduce &mdash there, and neither
introduces a suitable <p ...> tag (?) there, another indication for
the place to put the <p class="functionfile">' tag would have to be
found, may be before 'Function File:' ? But maybe this can wait until
someone intends to apply a CSS which changes indentation there, don't
know if such a CSS was ever applied for Octave Forge. There seem to be
no strong preferences for a certain formatting at the starts of the
function definitions, so maybe removing the hack without replacing it,
and just using what the currently installed texinfo yields -- mdash or
nothing(?) -- is allright ...

Olaf

Thank you all for your answers. I think that I have enough information now to propose a fix. Here is what I propose to do:

1) I will rewrite the existing &mdash; hack (for TeckInfo < 5) using a more precise regexprep, to avoid replacing &mdash; entities not related to @deftypefn and @deftypefnx blocks.

2) Since the goal is to introduce a class="functionfile" attribute to control formating, I will propose a similar hack for TexInfo >= 5.

Then we will have <p class="functionfile"> </p> tags with TexInfo <5, and <dt class="functionfile"> </dt> tags with TexInfo >=5.

3) Extend the existing Octave-Forge CSS to define dt.functionfile (p.functionfile is already defined).

Would that be acceptable for everyone ?