Re: specfun release ? [WAS: laguerre.m functions in specfun package]

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: specfun release ? [WAS: laguerre.m functions in specfun package]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 01:17:09 +0200

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> Juan Pablo Carbajal wrote:
>
> <long snip>
>
>>> Juan, if you can solve the laguerre.m issue I mentioned in my OP here I'm
>>> still prepared to make a new release (if Carnë is willing to upload it).
>>> But my suggestion to make it a temporary one until Octave 4.2.0 still
>>> stands
>>> (i.e., a dependency on Octave < 4.2.0). I think that would save all of us
>>> the most time now that Octave-4.0.0. is close.
>
> <snip>
>>

>> I updated the function. Is it ok now?
>> It passes all the tests and has a demo.
>

> Did you test with Octave-4.0.0-rc3 or -4 ? If yes, it should be OK.
yeap

>> Now, the signature is changed in a way that is closer to matlabs
>> http://ch.mathworks.com/help/symbolic/laguerrel.html
>

> What about the laguerre.m in devel/ subdir? That was the subject of my
> original question - I think there shouldn't be a devel/ subdir in an OF
> package.

I left the laguerre function in the devel subdir, if you approve it
just hg mv to inst.

If you use releasePKG.m, the devel folder gets removed before packaging.
Devel folders are quite useful, look inside geometry, control
packages, they have one as well.

>> Shall we rename it to laguerreL? Or will it be implemented in the
>> symbolic package?
>

> I have no opinion, sorry. Why should it be renamed?
because matlab has a laguerreL function, but it does the numerical and
symbolic part. As of now we could only provide support for the
numerical one.
If you think we should go for laguerreL then I need to change the
function signature and provide an "not implemented" error if th eusers
tries to use it with symbolic inputs.