Re: Debugging output

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Debugging output
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:21:00 -0600

On 01/31/2016 07:31 PM, LachlanA wrote:
Daniel Sebald wrote
A Qt equivalent might be to call a one-line modal dialog box and simply
hit "OK" every time the text, then note where the crash occurs.  Clumsy,
but works.

If debugging something in the core of Octave, then octave-cli and
fprintf(stderr,) still works.

The modal dialog is a great idea.  I hadn't thought of that.

Using Octave-cli is fine for debugging purely core issues.  As I said, the
problem is if doing ABC in the GUI causes crash XYZ in the core.  Perhaps it
is a corner case...

My view is that it should be, by design. I've always felt that the GUI should be able to set/retrieve anything via some existing command. The only place that might not apply is graphics engine efficiency.

Dan