Re: GSoC ode15s

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: GSoC ode15s
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:45:10 +0000

On 07/03/16 20:21, Chiara Segala wrote:
Dear all,*

I introducing myself for GSOC 2016. I'm Chiara Segala, I'm 23 years old,
graduated atUniversity of Verona, Italy. I attended my bachelor's degree
in applied mathematics and I am doing now the second year of the
master's *degree*.
I am interested in the project idea of ODE15S IMPLEMENTATION.
During my bachelor's degree I had a programming *course*in java and now
I'm following one on the C++ language.
I have experience in theuse of Matlab and Octave thanks to the various
coursesin numerical computation and *numerical analysis, also advanced.*
In particular I have followed a course onnumerical methods for
differential equations, Iknow and I *have implemented the most
common*methods, numerical methods for initial value problems,
theta-method, explicit and semi-implicit Runge-Kutta, multi-step.
I would be happy to work on that project.

*Thanks,
Best regards
Chiara Segala

Hi Chiara,

Welcome to the list. I am one of the proposed mentors for this project, although my role would be helping with general Octave development rather than numerical methods. If you are interested in applying for this project consider learning to obtain and build the Octave development sources as a starting point. You can find a guide to this here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/get-involved.html

but if you need further information you can come back and ask here on the list. At this point there is still some debate on whether we need an m-file implementation (in which case you may not need to build Octave at all), or an interface to another C++ library function. If we decide to go down the interface route, you will find the following useful:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/External-Code-Interface.html

You might also want to familiarise yourself with the existing ode functions, which you can find in the Octave sources here:

http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/01586012300e/scripts/ode/

Best regards,

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.