Re: let's keep printf, puts, and scanf

From: Kai Torben Ohlhus
Subject: Re: let's keep printf, puts, and scanf
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:23:09 +0000

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 6:05 AM Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
> Another observation is, that the Octave language has the nice feature to
> make 2 real implementations and 4 convenience m-file wrappers to get all the
> work done. Instead Octave currently provides 6 "real" (more redundant)
> implementations in file-io.cc. Means, if any serious error is detected, the
> code has to be touched more than once! Needless to say, that the source file
> with important code is bloated up to 3k lines of code, so it's harder for
> newcomers to get into it.

True. That's why I suggested it might make sense to turn some of them
into m-file wrappers, just not labeled as deprepcated. In #octave, jwe
made the point that these functions have hardly had any bugs reported at
all and the code, even though it is in C++ routines, is still very small
and easily maintainable. They are mostly wrappers around octave_stream.
[...]
Personally I think we should keep printf forever, there's no reason to
get rid of it, it's a useful convenient wrapper to have, yes even though
fprintf without a file argument is the same exact thing.

Yes, maybe deprecation is no option at all then. But I think we should use the power of Octave, to make the code base as easy as possible, if the m-file does not result in a total performance penalty.

tic; for i = 1:5, printf_m("%s", "hi everyone"); end, disp(toc)
6.3205e-04
tic; for i = 1:5, printf("%s", "hi everyone"); end, disp(toc)
2.1100e-04
tic; for i = 1:20000, printf_m("%s", "hi everyone"); end, disp(toc)
1.5331
tic; for i = 1:20000, printf("%s", "hi everyone"); end, disp(toc)
1.5113

function numbytes = printf_m (varargin)

  if (nargin < 1)
    print_usage ();
  endif

  numbytes = fprintf (varargin{:});

endfunction

> @Mike: you mean varargin{:}?
> http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/file/96518f623c91/scripts/deprecated/usage.m
> Can you explain, what this does better? I would like to mention this in
> https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/v4.0.1/Variable_002dlength-Argument-Lists.html
> if it is not documented elsewhere.

Yes, varargin is a cell array while varargin{:} expands to a cs-list,
which is what is necessary for the elements of the cell array to be
interpreted as distinct arguments.

  args = {"one", "two", "three"};
  func (args)

vs

  func (args{:})

The first calls func with a single argument which is a cell array, the
second calls func with 3 arguments.
 [...]

Thank you for the explanation Mike, as I had to notice, this is already documented in the example -.-

So if there are no objections, or an unmistakably no, I will come up with a reduced version of the cset, only making puts, fputs, printf and scanf (not deprecate) M-files next week.

Kai