Re: Test failure with gsl package / help needed

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Test failure with gsl package / help needed
Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2016 07:04:15 -0700 (PDT)

Julien Bect-2 wrote
> :
> <snip>
> :
> Please try the latest dev version of the package to confirm that
> everything works for you (I have gsl 2.2.1 as well):
>
>  > hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/gsl gsl-test
>  > cd gsl-test
>  > make dist
>  > cd target && octave
>
>  >> pkg install gsl-1.1.0.tar.gz   # you should only see the usual
> message here:
> For information about changes from previous versions of the gsl package,
> run 'news gsl'.
>
>  >> pkg load gsl
>  >> test_gslsf
> PASSES 25 out of 25 tests
>
>  >> help legendre_Plm_array
> 'legendre_Plm_array' is a function from the file
> /home/bect/octave/gsl-1.1.0/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v50+/gsl_sf.oct
>
>   -- Loadable Function: Z = legendre_Plm_array (ARG1, ARG2, ARG3)
>   -- Loadable Function: Z = legendre_Plm_array (...)
>
>       Compute arrays of Legendre polynomials P_l^m(x) for m >= 0, l =
>       |m|, ..., lmax, |x| <= 1.
>
>       This function is from the GNU Scientific Library, see
>       &lt;http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/&gt; for documentation.
> *
> **     *DEPRECATION WARNING***: gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_array has been**
> **     deprecated in GSL 2.0**
> *
>  >> legendre_sphPlm_array ()
> *error: GSL function gsl_sf_legendre_sphPlm_array was found missing when
> the gsl package for octave was built.**
> *

(Just out of curiosity I tried)

FWIW, with stock gsl-1.16 on Mageia-5 (64b) I get:

>> test_gslsf
PASSES 25 out of 25 tests

>> legendre_sphPlm_array ()
error: Invalid call to legendre_sphPlm_array.  Correct usage is:

 -- Loadable Function: Z = legendre_sphPlm_array (ARG1, ARG2, ARG3)
 -- Loadable Function: Z = legendre_sphPlm_array (...)

Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
available in the online version of the manual.  Use the command
'doc <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
mailing list.

>> help legendre_Plm_array
'legendre_Plm_array' is a function from the file
/home/philip/octave/gsl-1.1.0/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-api-v51/gsl_sf.oct

     <http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/> for documentation.

     *DEPRECATION WARNING*: gsl_sf_legendre_Plm_array has been
     deprecated in GSL 2.0

Additional help for built-in functions and operators is
available in the online version of the manual.  Use the command
'doc <topic>' to search the manual index.

Help and information about Octave is also available on the WWW
at http://www.octave.org and via the address@hidden
mailing list.

One might wonder why there's the DEPRECATED warning for gsl-2.0 when a user
has gsl-1.16, but it doesn't hurt either.

Philip