Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list

From: mbro009
Subject: Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:39:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi All

Thank you for the feedback. In a separate discussion that was taken off the
list by the list maintainer, I have expressed my flexibility in finding a
model so that all parties are happy.

To address forking, through trial and error, we could attempt to work with
the GNU Octave maintainers in a collaborative manner when trying to add or
improve. When we add or improve a feature we could distribute those
modifications cost-free under copyright owned by Thodica Limited, and
subject to the GPLv3, to the GNU Octave maintainers.

Regarding bug management, if we found a bug fix then we could report it back
to the GNU Octave maintainers including how we fixed it, such as if a
customer requests it as part of our paid support model.

In terms of payment, my view is that there is cost-free software, affordable
software, and unaffordable software. If software is affordable and
responsive to customer support, then I believe this introduces an option for
efficiency gains without sacrificing freedom.

We will need to maintain and distribute our own version, i.e. Thodica
Octave, for legal reasons and to introduce our own branding and links to the
paid support model etc.

Thank you
Matthew