Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: Possible inclusion in commercial support list
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 22:04:31 +0100

Hi Matthew,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 9:18 PM, mbro009 <address@hidden> wrote:
> 3. A proportion of the revenue obtained directly from the support contracts
> for GNU Octave will be donated to GNU Octave for development of new features
> and general work. The proportion will be determined by us given current and
> forecast profitability. The features and work that is completed using these
> funds is to be selected by us (but still requiring approval by GNU Octave
> maintainers) in the interest of commercial customers;  developers are
> selected by GNU Octave provided there is equal opportunity and equity in
> selection, and GNU Octave is transparent about equal opportunity statistics.
> Developers selected must be job-seekers and complete the work under contract
> to GNU Octave as the contracting party and mentored by GNU Octave
> maintainers, i.e. they cannot currently be employed in a public or private
> institution.

I think you view of GNU Octave as a community is quite biased by your
enterprising stand point.
I do not think GNU Octave can hire anyone (I will be glad to be
wrong!). maybe FSF can or maybe John can, or maybe other people
involved in octave who have as company or a legal person under some
jurisdiction.
Also why you restrict the possibility of having developments done to
job-seekers? and what do you care of what people do in their time?
Probably you should only care that developments are delivered on time
and quality.

I would love to hear jwe or Rik's opinion on this.

Good luck.