om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] List reply behavious

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] List reply behavious
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 20:46:39 -0400 (EDT)

address@hidden wrote:
>> I've noticed that "reply to all" (at least in my webmail client I've
>> been using this month) replies to the sender, and CC's to the list.
>>
>> Since this is a members only list, it seems a bit silly to me - anyone
>> who posts will get the message on the list, and two copies is just a
>> nuisance.  I would prefer it just send to the list myself.
>>
>> (I'm assuming it's something I can change in mailman and not a client
>> thing, but maybe it's not.  I'm no mailing list administration
>> professional by any stretch of the imagination!)
>>
>> Any opinions on the matter?  Should I change it?
>
>It would be great if you could make the list software add a Reply-To tag
>so all normal replies goes to the list instead of to the sender.

I agree, but like Andre linked to, there's some pretty well-understood
reasons why doing it is 'harmful'

I think mail client software should have a 'reply to list' or
something, where you can reply to the list, and not reply to the sender
as well.

I think I might change it anyway.  I think it's a bad idea for a
non-members-only list, but on a members-only list, I can't think of any
downside to doing it, and it keeps activity on the list which is a good
thing.

Unless there's any objections, I think I will.  (Isn't this how LAD
works anyway?)

-DR-