om-synth

[Om-synth] "note allocation scheme" with polyphony = 1

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: [Om-synth] "note allocation scheme" with polyphony = 1
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:23:21 +0200

Hi

Well here we go with my first suggestion:

Of alle the soft synths I've tried* under linux, only csound can work the way I honestly believe a synth should work like when in "mono-mode".

The way om works now is that releasing the last depressed key will make the gate go zero. At least if there are other notes held when the sounding note is released, they won't sound.

Normally you have three schemes in analog, monophonic synths, that all share the fact that sound is produced as long as there's a key down:

Highest note: The higest note at any given time is sounding
Lowest note: The lowest note at given time is sounding
Latest note: The latest note that was pressed is sounding

There's logically one more, which doesn't make too much sense on mono mode, but will in poly mode (see BTW):

First note: The first note that was pressed is sounding.

Of the three I prefer Latest note. But everyone of them is much more musical than the way om is working now.

So what I suggest is that these four different ways of working are added to the "Om patch note input node".

BTW: These schemes also make sense in polymode, where they should decide which note(s) are stolen if held keys are larger then polyphony.

*csound, supercollider, pd, ams, zynaddsubfx, amsynth, om ()

--
  .''`.  Peace, love & harmony
 : :' :  Atte