om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] learning controllers

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] learning controllers
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 20:35:04 -0400 (EDT)

Atte André Jensen wrote:
>Hi
>
>I can't seem to figure out how to use the learn feature. All it does is
>echo the correct controller number to the term om_gtk was started from.
>Isn't is supposed to set the "Controller Number", "Min" and "Max" values
>in the midi_control_in module?

It will set the controller number, but not the min and max.  It's
possible it's setting it, but the control dialog isn't updating, in the
latest released version.  I remember fixing that at some point...

Fixed, as usual, in CVS.  The next release will come Real Soon Now(TM)
(really).

>And ams has a very nice feature, where the controller value is not send
>until the knob reaches the current value, to avoid sudden jumps. In ams
>it always works this way, but it would be perfect to have it as an
>option in om.

Hmm.  I don't know if that's really possible, since MIDI binding is
it's own node, and once the output is connected to the input of another
node, that is the value at that input - period, end of story.

I may go back to the "old" MIDI binding style (somewhat ala AMS)... it
just isn't good to use in the form it is now, even if it's consistent
and conceptually elegant.

I think this ties in with what I ultimately want to do with OSC though,
maybe it will be taken care of by a seperate program.  Like, say, an
OSC sequencer, or something like it, that sits in between MIDI and OSC.
 Maybe.

I'll put some thought into this.  It's the general sort of thing at the
forefront of my mind at the moment..

>A last thing from ams that is very nice: The position of the
controllers
>are saved as part of the patch. This means that I can make quick
>adjustments to a patch via the knobs on my evolution and save them.
Very
>handy in a rehearsal or live situation where speed is very important.
>The most controller in this regard would be #7 (main volume), as I
often
>find that I'd like to make small volume adjustments for individual
sounds...

Hmm.  Good point, I never thought of that.  Input control port values
are saved, but since the MIDI binding is an output port, it isn't.
That's kinda a nasty hack.  Hmph.

See previous comment about thinking about it.

-DR-