om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] using om live

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] using om live
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 18:48:19 +1000

On Sun, 2005-31-07 at 09:37 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> I mostly use my setup live, but I haven't had om on the road yet.
>
> Imagine I want to change a sound in om on stage. I have to destroy the
> current sound, load another and make the appropriate connections in
> qjackctl. Not likely something someone would do spontaneously between
> songs or even in the middel of a song.
>
> Two things (that both would be nice) would help out:
>
> 1) Some way of "speed loading" a patch. It should destroy the current
> patch and take over it's jack connections, all in one go.

If you want to "replace" a patch, the inputs and outputs would have to
be exactly the same.  What are the chances of that?

> 2) Some kind of program change. For instance the possibility to send a
> program change to om and do 1) with the patch running the current
> channel. There need to be some extra layer where one could define the
> relationship between files and program change values.

Yes, some kind of "program change" like support is needed.  My goal has
always been for Om to be a realtime system, above all else, so now I
need to start building in those handy features to make it a useful
performance instrument.

The question is:  how?

Om isn't just one instrument, it's an environment in which many
instruments (or whatever) can exist at the same time.  That makes things
a bit more complicated. :/

-DR-