om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] using om live

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] using om live
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:01:28 +1000

On Sun, 2005-31-07 at 13:48 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > If you want to "replace" a patch, the inputs and outputs would have to
> > be exactly the same.  What are the chances of that?
>
> One could make sure of that...
>
> Another way to go was autoconnect to some input/output...

What input?  To what output?  (or vice versa)

> > Yes, some kind of "program change" like support is needed.  My goal has
> > always been for Om to be a realtime system, above all else, so now I
> > need to start building in those handy features to make it a useful
> > performance instrument.
> >
> > The question is:  how?
>
> Exactly, let's keep thinking/talking about it, and maybe others can join
> in...
>
> The way ams works is not ideal IMHO. It let's you store snapshots of
> controllable parameters and program change betwen them. But it's still
> the same modules and the same wireing...

Well.. this is definitely needed as well.  There's actually a lot of
work on this already in there (if you look at the patch files, you can
see the notion of "presets"), but hasn't percolated up to the user level
yet.

That's not a replacement for patch switching though, no.

> I recently learned about LASH:
>
> http://lash-audio-session-handler.org/
>
> I'm not sure how it works, and if it could be used to solve (part of)
> the problem in question. But it's objective is promissing indeed...

In a word, no.  Lash does solve an important problem, but not this one.

-DR-