om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Exporting synths?

From: Lars Luthman
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Exporting synths?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:13:50 +0100

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 09:14 +0000, Ross Clement wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 11:57 -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > It's been discussed.  Much more likely than actually creating plugins
> is
> > making the Om engine itself be able to run as a plugin, and/or making it
> > able to run more "stand-aloney" from a UI perspective.
> >
> I'm pretty impressed with SynthEdit. Being able to dump VST plugins with
> GUI is pretty impressive, and being able to use the plugins in Cubase
> and ProTools is a big advantage IMHO. Part of that is simplicity. If the
> om engine runs as a plugin, then it is a more sophisticated
>
> I think it would be possible to write a program that read the patch
> files and created (at least at stage 0.1) LADSPA plugins matching om
> patches. Not something I would be doing myself, but if it's feasible I
> might write it up as a "student project" for a student to do this.

This assumes that this Om patch -> LADSPA converter knows exactly what
all the modules in the patch are doing with the signal, i.e. that you
have the source for all available LADSPA plugins in the world in a
format that you can parse. Given that different plugin authors often
invent their own wrapper code to simplify writing LADSPAs, there are
lots of different code formats (some even write the body of the run()
callback inside an RDF file) and it's also very likely that someone
would write a new LADSPA plugin that your parser couldn't handle.

A parser like this would be a _lot_ more sophisticated than a plugin
that simply loaded the needed LADSPA plugins and connected them up using
an embedded spec file. And if you do it like that you might as well use
the Om engine itself and strip it down to make a LADSPA plugin (remove
all MIDI and OSC handling code, LASH support, dynamic patch
modification, signal handling etc). That is probably the simplest way,
although it's most likely not very simple.

Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php
Fingerprint: FCA7 C790 19B9 322D EB7A  E1B3 4371 4650 04C7 7E2E