om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Exporting synths?

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Exporting synths?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:08:42 -0500

On Sun, 2006-12-02 at 09:14 +0000, Ross Clement wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 11:57 -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > It's been discussed.  Much more likely than actually creating plugins
> is
> > making the Om engine itself be able to run as a plugin, and/or making it
> > able to run more "stand-aloney" from a UI perspective.
> >
> > Why do you want this, anyway?
> >
> > -DR-
>
> I'm pretty impressed with SynthEdit. Being able to dump VST plugins with
> GUI is pretty impressive, and being able to use the plugins in Cubase
> and ProTools is a big advantage IMHO. Part of that is simplicity. If the
> om engine runs as a plugin, then it is a more sophisticated

It wouldn't be any different from the user perspective.  The Om engine
itself is really not that complicated of a thing.  If you take out all
the Event stuff (ie OSC control), it's _really_ not that complicated of
a thing.

It would be a very cool thing to have a full blown modular inside apps
(like Ardour) though - much better than just being able to create static
plugins.

That said, there are advantages to actually creating plugins - namely
performance.  If it were possible anyway:

> I think it would be possible to write a program that read the patch
> files and created (at least at stage 0.1) LADSPA plugins matching om
> patches. Not something I would be doing myself, but if it's feasible I
> might write it up as a "student project" for a student to do this.

Well, unfortunately there's no standard way of getting at the source
code of a plugin.  Building a plugin from an Om patch given the source
code of all the plugins used would be possible, but without that you
don't really have anything to work with.

I'm all for some kind of standard LADPSA plugin package organization
(including a sane naming scheme and source access), but the chances of
it happening are basically zero at this point.

-DR-