om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] Exporting synths?

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] Exporting synths?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:26:14 -0500

On Sun, 2006-12-02 at 19:04 +0000, Ross Clement wrote:
> > Well, unfortunately there's no standard way of getting at the source
> > code of a plugin.  Building a plugin from an Om patch given the source
> > code of all the plugins used would be possible, but without that you
> > don't really have anything to work with.
>
> Lars mentioned (+/- delta) this as well. I'm not sure that it would be
> necessary to access the source code for the plugin. I was thinking that
> since the format of an object code library file (.so etc) is open and
> not all *that* complicated, that it would be possible to read the
> library files themselves, extract the used subroutines, and package them
> up again into another library package containing the "new" plugin.

Then you need some kind of engine to run the plugins in the appropriate
order and mix things down etc. etc.  Coincidentally, one of those
already exists, and we're talking on it's mailing list :).

To make plugin exporting like this a reality, first I'd need to make a
"libOm" so the engine is loadable as a library in some other app, and
not just able to run as an app itself (I've already been meaning to do
this for a while).

Then we could strip out all the OSC and MIDI stuff at compile time and
get a 'static plugin' version (which would have no significant overhead
over the same thing implemented from the ground up, for the record).

Once that's done, some way of actually building a normal loadable plugin
(like what you mentioned) could be looked into.

A lot of this is very dependant on what the plugin spec is capable of
though...

-DR-