Re: [Openexr-devel] Long Channel Names

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Long Channel Names
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:06:28 -0700

You're talking about channel names, not file names, right? That's got nothing to do with FSSpecs. The EXR format was actually designed on the SGI and ported to the Mac later, so there aren't any Mac anachronisms in the format (hopefully not too many unix-isms either). 32 is just a commonly used number for "string that probably isn't more than one word".

Lee, if you change the length of the fixed-size name in your build of exrlib, I would expect that other software would crash when trying to read your non-standard files. The EXR format allows you to add arbitrary attributes to the file's header, including string attributes of arbitrary length. Could your driver encode the information you need in string attributes, rather than channel names? Perhaps you could use some kind of scheme where your channel names are "1", "2", etc, and there is a string attribute for each channel with the real name. See ImfStringAttribute.h for more information.

- Paul