Re: [Openexr-devel] Long Channel Names

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Long Channel Names
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 11:06:18 -0700

What are typical examples of channel names longer than 32
characters?

Here at ILM, channel names are all rather short (for example,
"R", "Z", or "N.001.x").  As far as I know, in the three years
or so, since we started using OpenEXR, nobody here has ever
complained about the limited length of channel names.  To me,
the assertion that long channel names are common, is rather
surprising.

Allowing longer channel names is, of course, trivial, but this
effectively changes the OpenEXR file format.  Existing software
would have to be recompiled in order to be able to read files
with long channel names.