[Openexr-devel] OpenEXR vs Raw images

From: nkb
Subject: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR vs Raw images
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:19:52 +0900

Hi.
I've a simple question.
Does storing my images in OpenEXR present any advantages over storing my images as Raw images (such as the CRW format from Canon digtial camera)? I did a simple comparision. In terms of file size, for the same image, canon crw file size (in my example) is 4.7MB while openexr format with piz compression yields a result of 12.8MB. Further, in terms of being able to control the exposure levels, tuning the images with various details, crw format seems to have more controls and I'm able to get the right image out of a CRW file.(I use photoshop CS) So what am I missing here? Thanks.