Re: [Openexr-devel] Slow deep exr

From: Thorsten Kaufmann
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Slow deep exr
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 07:21:54 +0000

Hey there,

so there is no "deep vs. beauty". It's simply a deepscanline image. I don't think it is even possible to mix

deep and non-deep images, is it?

Deep is not an additional set of information but it stores all of the regular information in a more granular way.

So there is both more data to read and you more "work to do" (to blend the individual samples) which makes

reading deep images slower. The amount of additional samples depends a lot on the type of image you have

motionblur, dof making things way worse and of course on the renderer's implamentation and if samples

are merged and how.

In the sample image the slowness is caused by the amount of samples that the mountains in the background

have. I ran this through an internal node to false-colour-code the sample count:

With the settings used red pixels represent “more than 50 samples per pixel (which is also per channel then).

Whereas you have hardly more than 2 samples per pixel in the foreground. It would be a lot more efficient to render

the mountains separate and non-deep if that is an option. I don’t know if Arnold has a way of forcing sample-merging

for some objects? That would be a possibility too.

Cheers,

Thorsten

---
Thorsten Kaufmann
Production Pipeline Architect

Mackevision Medien Design GmbH
Forststraße 7
70174 Stuttgart

T +49 711 93 30 48 661
F +49 711 93 30 48 90
M +49 151 19 55 55 02

address@hidden
www.mackevision.com

Geschäftsführer: Armin Pohl, Joachim Lincke, Jens Pohl
HRB 243735 Amtsgericht Stuttgart

---
MOTIONBOX: New film packages available (offer valid until June 30th)
SHOWREEL: Watch our latest Showreel 2017
ISO 9001: Mackevision is certified according to ISO 9001:2015
SOCIAL: LinkedIn, Xing, Facebook, Twitter, Behance, Vimeo