openexr-user

Re: [Openexr-user] Clarification on Open EXR and Photoshop

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-user] Clarification on Open EXR and Photoshop
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:00:42 -0700

On Aug 22, 2004, at 12:14 AM, JK wrote:

I prefer to use Photoshop for adding special effects, and would like to film out using OpenEXR. (I am only adding effects to portions of the frame.) Question: Since Photoshop is a LDR editor (8 bits only) what will happen to the added effects when I convert back to OpenEXR in the 10bit floating format? Will they look flat, pixelated, jagged?

At The Orphanage, we've been doing some HDR painting in Photoshop using 16-bit Log space and our own version of the EXR plug-in. Look at this crudely-designed site for info:

http://www.theorphanage.com/tech/

There are issues with this approach or course, but we've had success with it.

Brendan