openexr-user

[Openexr-user] Clarification on Open EXR and Photoshop

From: JK
Subject: [Openexr-user] Clarification on Open EXR and Photoshop
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 3:14:51 -0400

Hello,

I prefer to use Photoshop for adding special effects, and would like to film
out using OpenEXR.  (I am only adding effects to portions of the frame.)
Question: Since Photoshop is a LDR editor (8 bits only) what will happen to the
added effects when I convert back to OpenEXR in the 10bit floating format? Will
they look flat, pixelated, jagged?

I ask this question since there isn't a consensus on these lists on using the
Photoshop plug-in for scanned film material.  It seems Cinepaint is the top
choice.  (Converting to Linux isn't an option at this time for users such as
myself, and After Effects doesn't have the image editing tools I need at this
time if I wanted to go the Cineon route)

Any suggestions? Remember, the key issue is quality, and if the
Photoshop/OpenEXR combination can retain the quality, this is the first
preference, but any other recommendations are welcome.

Thank you,

JK