openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] how can I help?

From: Ryan Underwood
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] how can I help?
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 20:49:41 -0500

Hi one with same name,

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:46:00AM -0400, Ryan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently stumbled across this project while browsing the ALSA web site.
> I've got an au8830 based card and i've been using the drivers at
> aureal.sourceforge.net. However, I guess because of their binary
> component, they don't play real well with my gentoo linux installation
> (I've got gcc 3.x and they're were compiled with some version of 2.x).
> Anyways, I'd really like to help test your new driver. Where do I start?
> How can I help? I am a proficient C/C++ programmer, but I don't know much
> about kernel or hardware programming or about sound.

First you can start by checking out the CVS 'alsa' directory.  Build the
ALSA that resides there, and use the driver modules from it (snd-au8830)
to use your card.  You should be able to use the CVS driver modules
against the Gentoo ALSA distribution, so fussing around with files and
such should be kept to a minimum.  Then try with xmms, games, emulators,
etc and try to break it. :)

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>, icq=10317253