openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Call for ALSA patch submit

From: J. Gordon Wolfe
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Call for ALSA patch submit
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:21:00 -0400

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 19:46, Manuel Jander wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 19:30, Erik Gustavsson wrote:
> > The current CVS version seems to be very stable for me, with kernels
> > 2.4.21 and 2.6.0-test5-mm4. My only complaint at the moment is that the
> > SPDIF output isn't affected by any of the mixer controls...
>
> That will never change, since it isnt intended for normal audio
> playback. Use the ADB device instead. You should get SPDIF audio output
> too. If not, tell me to fix that. That reminds me, a SPDIF output
> samplerate selector is still missing. I'll add it as soon as i can.

I think his complaint is that using the ADB device, the sound coming out
of the SPDIF port is not affected by the equalizer, or by any mixer
sliders.  Personally, I like it better this way, but I guess we have a
difference of opinion.

> What do you mean with no very stable ? Are you having segfaults, system
> crashes or something like that ?
> How could i reproduce such a "not so stable" situation on my computer ?
Maybe you misread?  It looks to me like he's saying the driver IS
stable.

Anyway, I think its good enough to send.  I'd ideally like SPDIF to work
a little better (i.e. changing samplerates being useful, and working as
an AC3 passthru), but I see no reason to hold off because of that.  All
the base functionality works well.  I can play audio, I can record
audio.  I don't know of any ugly bugs.  What else do you really need?

 -Gordon

--
J. Gordon Wolfe <address@hidden>