openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Status of Manuel's patches and openvortex developme

From: Manuel Jander
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Status of Manuel's patches and openvortex development status
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:22:47 -0300

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 20:15 +0700, Alexey Morozov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It seems that the latest Manuel Jander's patch against ALSA source tree
> (aureal-2.6.6.diff.gz) taken from its aureal patches page is somewhat
> outdated (at least for alsa-drivers-1.0.6a). It looks like most parts of
> that patch are included into ALSA source tree, but one thing (well,
> looking important, at least for me ;-)) is still missing there. So my
> question is: should I try to edit the patch and try to apply missing
> parts or they're are reduntant?

Most probably not. It looks like that the ALSA people accept some
patches, replying "OK", but in the end the never make it into the CVS.
Happened to me sometimes, could be the case here.

> vortex_adbdma_resetup from au88x0_core.c and its invocation in
> snd_vortex_pcm_trigger from au88x0_pcm.c and declaration in au88x0.h
> seem to be missing in the 1.0.6a.

This one, contributed by someone here on the list (cant remember right
now). Its related to PCM streams being paused ans resumed. While pausing
the DMA context seems to get lost, so this extra call reestablishes the
DMA context.

> Also it's unclear for me if keeping vortex "QUAD" status in a member
> variable "isquad", which initialized at startup (as it's done in
> aureal-quadfix.patch), is more preferrable than runtime calculation in
> VORTEX_IS_QUAD macro (upstream variant).

There where some segfault problems, because at some time the ac97 struct
could be null and the macro being used. Using a variable that is
initialized at startup when the ac97 struct is not null for sure, solved
the problem.

> And what about other patches published in this list?

All current patches on my website should be considered obsolete... while
there could be some things that where silently omitted by the ALSA
team :(

Until i don't get my hands on a Desktop machine, it impossible for me to
do any further testings. Unfortunately i will keep being very busy at
least one more month. After that, there are chances to take over a
Desktop x86 with a free PCI slot and some free time.

Best Regards

Manuel