openvortex-dev

Re: [Openvortex-dev] Status of Manuel's patches and openvortex developme

From: Alexey Morozov
Subject: Re: [Openvortex-dev] Status of Manuel's patches and openvortex development status
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:10:29 +0700

Manuel Jander пишет:

<>Hi,

Most probably not. It looks like that the ALSA people accept some
patches, replying "OK", but in the end the never make it into the CVS.
Happened to me sometimes, could be the case here.

I have re-applied addition of vortex_adbdma_resetup for 1.0.6a. "Works for me". The rest seems to be in ALSA upstream.

vortex_adbdma_resetup from au88x0_core.c and its invocation in snd_vortex_pcm_trigger from au88x0_pcm.c and declaration in au88x0.h seem to be missing in the 1.0.6a.

This one, contributed by someone here on the list (cant remember right
now). Its related to PCM streams being paused ans resumed. While pausing
the DMA context seems to get lost, so this extra call reestablishes the
DMA context.
Ok. Is it related to "irq fifo bug" on [some] VIA chipsets? If it is, this is my case ;-)

BTW, it seems installation of 1.0.6a fixed my previous strange equalizer channel mapping (message-id <address@hidden>, reported earlier in this list).

Also it's unclear for me if keeping vortex "QUAD" status in a member variable "isquad", which initialized at startup (as it's done in aureal-quadfix.patch), is more preferrable than runtime calculation in VORTEX_IS_QUAD macro (upstream variant).

There where some segfault problems, because at some time the ac97 struct
could be null and the macro being used. Using a variable that is
initialized at startup when the ac97 struct is not null for sure, solved
the problem.
Hmm, so this means, I should re-apply this patch if I want to get reliable behaviour

And what about other patches published in this list?

All current patches on my website should be considered obsolete... while
there could be some things that where silently omitted by the ALSA
team :(
Well, so far I applied two aureal patches mentioned above and things "work for me". Also I noticed some "cleanup" patches during last two months, some of them seem to be applied, some aren't [yet] (as of 1.0.6a) but none of them seem, e-e-ehm, not "life-critical" for me (perhaps I'm wrong).

Until i don't get my hands on a Desktop machine, it impossible for me to
do any further testings. Unfortunately i will keep being very busy at
least one more month. After that, there are chances to take over a
Desktop x86 with a free PCI slot and some free time.
Ok, thank you for your work anyway. My distribution currently includes at least some of openvortex patches (and other can be [easily] pushed in) so there're [some] customers of Aureal hardware as well, I could forward their reports to this list.