pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Status of windows port

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Status of windows port
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:28:20 -0700

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 10:43:35PM +0200, Bas Mevissen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the status of the Windows port? What is/would be needed to get a
> windows port of Pan?
>
> I'm asking this because in the dutch newsgroup nl.motorfiets (motorfiets
> motorbike in dutch) from time to time there is discussion about what
> newsreader to use. Gravity is favourit on Windows (with reason), but it is
> aging and no longer maintained (sad story).
>
> So a windows port would attract some very critical users with very good ideas
> about how things should work from a user (and sometimes technical)
> perspective.
>
> That's the background of this question. I'm very happy with Pan on Linux :-)

Here is the list of issues that I'm aware of for the Win32 port.
If you'd like to help out, I'd really appreciate someone either
writing #ifdeffed winsock code, or porting Pan's net code to GNet.

* all socket code (dialog_newuser, sockets.c, smtp.c) needs portability
* ssize_t is not portable, use gssize instead
* need a configure check to define WIN32 "-DWIN32"
* need a regex.dll or to remove regex from filter-phrase
* the makefile doesn't work in pan/pan/xpm, maybe we could just make
  pan-pixbufs.h and pan-pixbufs-internal.h on the development side and
  ship without the xpm library?
* HAVE_TIMEZONE and HAVE_GTMTOFF both fail in configure.in, so GMime
  needs to do something like pan/base/gnksa's code to determine timezone
  offset.
* usleep isn't portable? -- try pan_usleep and wrap to next second in win32
* look for iconv.h inconfigure for gmime
* fclose (NULL) crashes on Windows.
* mkdir ("c:\") fails, breaking directory_check. Wrap with pan_mkdir()?
* g_getenv() doesn't listen for putenv()'s changes, so test-decode.c
  fails its regression test.
* need to look into the gtk2 mingw package so that we don't have to bundle gtk2.
* how does mingw handle do .po files?
* why can't we save files? "can't open file for writing - invalid argument"
* getpid needs #include ? on win32 -- (maybe process.h?)

cheers,
Charles