pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Pan in Fedora Extras

From: Pete Zaitcev
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] Re: Pan in Fedora Extras
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 17:18:45 -0800

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:42:51 -0700, Jim Henderson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Actually, I wonder how many use the "Reply by e-mail" and "forward via
> e-mail" options....I've never actually used them myself, since the benefit
> in my usage is for everyone to share knowledge in the newsgroups...

I use that a lot, as a function of getting a few high-traffic mailing
lists through NNTP gateways (for example, linux-kernel list). Naturally,
_any_ reply to those has to be made through e-mail.

BTW, for such use, Pan's facility to forward by e-mail is utterly unusable.
When you select "Forward by e-mail", Pan QUOTES the article instead
of forwarding it unchanged. Naturally, any patches in the mail get
broken by this action.

I have a workaround for this, in the shape of the following script:

address@hidden ~]$ cat /usr/local/bin/pan-mail
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/sbin/sendmail -G "$USER"
address@hidden ~]$

This works like a charm to preserve original headers and the body of
the message.

-- Pete