pan-devel

[Pan-devel] Re: html message handling in pan-0.120

From: Anuj Verma (Kevin)
Subject: [Pan-devel] Re: html message handling in pan-0.120
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 02:34:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:47:50 -0500, Darren Albers wrote:

> Anuj Verma (Kevin) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Recently I have started to use PAN for mail2news again, and I notice that
>> any of the HTML messages displays as HTML code rather then easy to read
>> messages.
>>
>> Are there any workarounds ? or any plans to have this fixed in upcoming
>> versions, I certainly did not checked with any other version of Pan but
>> one shipped for Fedora 6.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Kevin
>>

> Pan has never supported html that I am aware of and all the feedback I
> have seen on this list indicates that it never will.
>
> HTML is hated on Usenet, but I can see why people may use it on mailing
> lists (though I still hate it there as well).  Maybe a solution would be
> to rip out all the html junk and display it as plain text?  Though that
> seems like a lot of work...

Agreed, its not that HTML rendering support is being requested here.
Stripping out HTML is essential.

It has become more important to be weeded out because most the webmail
services & desktop email clients do simple html by default and users have
started to find advantages of the same. Also in my own observance html
emails are note poked at any more in public mailing lists.

So indeed a good solution is to strip off emails of html for reading, any
directions & plans yet ?

Additionally how tough or simple will this problem be to tackle ?

Regards,
Kevin